Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chicago - I Finally Went!


Last week I went up to Chicago for a work function.  I have never been and just about everyone I know talks about how great and beautiful and fantastic Chicago is and I have been longing to go for a while.  I also wanted to see the Cloud Gate/Bean.  There is a video on YouTube:

(sorry I can't figure out how to make the embedded video smaller)

I have watched this video far too often and at about 2:27, he is at "The Bean."  Needless to say, I have really, really wanted to go to Chicago!  And finally I got to go!

This is the Cloud Gate, also called The Bean.  Being there in person is pretty awesome; I don't think you can properly appreciate it until you are there face to face as part of the full experience is watching everyone react to it.  However, I was far to shy to take a picture of myself looking at the Cloud Gate!



Underneath the Cloud Gate looking up.



This is a very small slice of the Chicago skyline.  It was incredible that whichever way you looked, there were skyscrapers everywhere, a mix of old and new.


Another shot of the skyline and the Sears Tower (I know, it is now called the Willis Tower).  The Sears/Willis tower is the black tower with the white spires.


Taken while we were walking through Millennium Park.


The Public Library.



While we were walking back to the hotel (after walking about 4 miles around city on a cloudless, beautiful day in the city), we saw this crane and were amazed by both the counterweights as well as the number of tires on the trailer.



While I did not like the Chicago traffic (an hour cab ride to and from the airport at what I would thought would be non-peak hours) the city is beautiful and I had a wonderful time!  I can't wait to go back to eat authentic Chicago food (due to 3 hour waits, we did not eat any Italian food.  We also did not get a chance to have any Italian beef sandwiches, deep dish pizza, or Chicago-style hotdog).

No comments: